Tuesday, February 5, 2013

A "Getting to Know You" post

So...back in November, I was "tagged" by Christina at Passion Quilting and today I was given a Liebster Award by Jess at the Crafty Roach.  Both are sort of like the "chain letters" of quilt blogging, but they seem much more well-intentioned.  Christina's "tag" unfortunately hit me right before my life spiraled into a work vortex...but since I've sort of gotten to a bail-the-water-out-as-the-boat-fills-up equilibrium now, I feel like it's time to join in (and invite others to do the same, if they choose :)

The basic premise is the same for each:
1.) Tell 11 things about yourself
2.) Answer 11 questions (although I guess I'll be answering 22)
3.) Ask 11 questions for other bloggers...all with small numbers of followers...and share our personalities along with our love of quilting

So...on to my 11--random--things...
1.) I think my parents are awesome...I never had the teenage falling out that most people have with their parents, and though Mom and Dad are VERY different people, I can totally respect, love, and enjoy both of them.  (My sister and I had the whole sibling rivalry thing down to an art--but we're good now, and she's an incredible person too!)

2.) I am so bad at getting things done that require calling up service people on the phone...and I don't know why!

3.) I spent three months studying Ecology, Zoology, and Natural Resource Management in New Mexico with a group of 11 students--our trip involved lots of camping, nearly getting lost among lava rocks while trying to get from a bat cave back to our tent, hanging out with prairie dogs, baby bunnies, setting lots of traps for rodents, lots and lots of camp food, and dissecting a bison--all while living in a ghost town on one of Ted Turner's ranches.  It was the most magical trip.

4.) I think my husband has the patience of a saint.

5.) My favorite punctuation mark is the dash--I discovered it during a freshman literature class and have never looked back.

6.) I strive every day to be open-minded and truly listen to people's various opinions, and it frustrates me when people don't just let others be or act closed-minded.  But then, I have to accept them as they are because I want to let them be who they are.

7.) I used to work in a nursery at a Jazzercise--I got free classes and fell in LOVE with group fitness.  In college I taught step aerobics and "jazz and sculpt."  Now, my love is Zumba.

8.) I love watching my students take tests--you can really see all their little personalities come out as they try to figure out the answer.

9.) I've been completely obsessed with orchids since a trip to an orchid breeder in Newberry, SC.  Chloe, my old kitty, figured this out and would EAT my orchids when I went on long trips (I believe this was out of feline spite.)

10.) I met my husband while singing in chorus together--it's really a very cute story--and when our choral director was tearing up as I walked down the aisle during our wedding six years later, I burst into tears.

11.) I'm a total foodie.  I love farmers markets, farm fresh eggs, tomatoes of every color and shape, cooking, baking, making my own jams and pickles--I would probably have a garden at some point in my life, but I have an IRRATIONAL fear of insects.

The 11 questions from Christina:
1.)  What is your most favorite quilt you have ever done?
I love my purple bunny quilt made for the little sister of one of my oldest friends.  But I haven't finished many quilts yet.  I can't wait until my Hooterville is finished :)



2.)  What is your favorite quilting technique?
Free motion quilting!  I love doodling on fabric!
3.)  Applique. Yay or Nay?
Yay, but on rare occasions in small doses.
4.) Which piece of fabric that you have or have ever owned would you do almost anything to have more of?

Oh my, I'm still in my stash building phase.  I really like the grey and plum fabric with leaves in the quilt top here.

5.) If you could teach one thing to someone about quilting what would it be?

Free motion quilting...I'm a woman of few interests ;)

6.) What do you listen to when you are quilting? Favorite book? Favorite Music? Television program or Movie?

Lots of NPR (I love "Wait, wait, don't tell me").  I also love books on tape or something like Gilmore Girls or Big Bang theory.  Almost never music.

7.)  Are you a Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter color scheme lover?

Spring and fall

8.)  What is your favorite book and/or author?

I love Barbara Kingsolver.  And Jane Eyre.

9.)  You are stranded on a deserted island, you only have your book of needles, what you are wearing and what resources the island has to offer, what are you going to quilt?

Probably a shelter out of banana leaves...

10.)  If there is one project that you have admired but never had the courage to attempt, what is it?

The art quilts that look like impressionistic paintings.  I really want to do one of Reedy River Park...a quaint little park with a beautiful new, modern bridge in Greenville, SC.

11.)Where is your favorite place to be?
I'm a homebody.  But, on a beautiful day I love to be outside sitting on a large rock in the mountains with a view.  It's the most wonderful, meditative experience.

And the questions from Jess:
1) What is your favorite non-crafting related hobby?
Knitting!  That's why this blog has a name that doesn't quite match the website--knitting used to be my one and only love.
2) If you could have a coffee date with one person, famous or not, living or dead, who would it be?
I would love to sit down with my Tita (grandmother).  I did this once as a kid and learned so much.  She gave the greatest advice and had an unshakable faith.
3) What is your favorite sewing (or crafting) notion?
I love the Clover clips.  Great for binding or keeping sweater seams together--a cross-craft tool!
4) Do you have a nickname? If so, what is the story behind it?
Breezy...apparently this is what my Dad's been calling me since I was born.
5) What is the best gift you've ever given? Received?
I love it every time my husband wears a scarf I knit him from handspun merino (No. I didn't spin the yarn myself.)  It turned out beautiful, and I know he loves it.
My parents bought me an SLR camera when I was a 9th grader.  I loved that camera and the time I spent on yearbook staff--especially the great people on the photography staff.  We spent so many hours in the darkroom just laughing.  I was a really awkward in high school, but those were great times.

6) If you were reincarnated, what would you want to come back as?
I don't think I'd want to change anything, but if I had to, perhaps an eagle?
7) If you got a tattoo, what would you get? (If you already have a tattoo, what is it, or what is your favorite if you have multiple, or what would your next one be if you want to get another?)
Probably a treble clef inside a heart...my hubby is very anti-tatoo, so I haven't thought about this one in awhile.
8) What food did you love as a kid but now can't stand. Or vice versa? (Mine is beets and Brussels sprouts, respectively).
I'm not so hot on fish sticks or chicken mcnuggets anymore, but I love onions and bell peppers now.
9) What is your favorite thing you've ever made?
Wow, that's difficult. Probably my lace shawls...any of them.
10) If you were to update Wikipedia, what would your entry be?
Fostering creativity in gifted students (something I wouldn't mind working on as a PhD thesis someday)

11) Do you have an odd skill or talent? (For example, I have an uncanny ability  to determine which celebrity a person resembles [this is a fun bar activity]).
I'm still pretty flexible, and once stretched out, I can high-kick to my nose. (Old dance team days) 

And my ll questions:
1) What's the first thing you notice about people?
2) What is your most favorite thing about yourself?
3) What are some smells that remind you of childhood?
4) Name someplace that you've been that you can't wait to revisit.
5) Dog or cat?
6) What's your favorite way to spend a weekend?
7) What's the most adventurous thing that you're tempted to try?
8) Favorite home-cooked meal?
9) Is there one thing that new acquaintances always seemed "shocked" to know about you?
10) What's your most "irrational" fear?
11) Name five qualities you admire in others.

I'd love to hear from:
Elle-mental
Hoot-n-haller
By Anjeanette
I Finally Have Time
JessieAller

And I know my list doesn't have 11 people (yet) so if you want to join in, let me know and I'll add you to the list!

2 comments:

  1. Ha! I LOVE Barbara Kingsolver too! I loved the Bean Trees and Pigs in Heaven. I haven't read her latest books, but I do own them;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for playing along, Aubrie. Love your responses!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! Your comments make my day!