Sunday, March 4, 2012

Free Motion Quilt Along Week 1

I discovered the free motion quilting project blog while visiting my family over Christmas break. A fancy app found it when I was doing a broad search for all things quilt-related. Well, besides her beautiful free motion designs, Leah Day has now started a weekly quilt-along to improve one's free motion skills. I'm starting 9 weeks behind...but at least I'm starting.

I've done a little free motion, but all on a very small scale, nothing like the large flowing loops required by week one. I very quickly figured out how often I'd have to reposition my hands without a proper quilting table. (Now I've ordered one...but that's another post for another day.)

The results turned out like this:
A close up of the large scale stippling:

And a close of the small scale stippling:

Overall, I'm really proud of the results! I'm trying a variety of thread types...this was "Garden Rose"...a shade of pink made by Isacord. I had NO problems with the polyester thread and really liked how shiny it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! Your comments make my day!