Sunday, March 11, 2012

Many works in progress

I've been having a blast with my new ("old") sewing machine--a Janome 6500 that I purchased used--and my adventures into all kinds of quilting techniques.

After finishing up a quilt top that was in progress for two years (on an old Singer), I still didn't feel comfortable quilting but knew I wanted to do more...hence, the Janome...a lucky find my mom made while scoping out a Janome dealer in town.

My first quilt top I pieced was a baby quilt in purple with multi-colored squares and dots. I tried to free motion quilt swirls in the borders, but was infuriated with thread breaks. After changing needles many times, I found that Inspira 90/14 quilting needles (mostly) solved the problem. Then, I started reading the free motion quilting project blog. Her posts about thread lead me to try Isacord...and although I've purchased a few other threads to try (Superior, YLI, Aurifil), I haven't felt the need to try them yet.

Now I'm working on a transportation themed baby quilt with all-over stippling, detailed small-scale stippling around some of the pictures, and fun swirly borders. I'm hoping to quick bind the project using this tutorial from Quilting in the Rain. But, I want to use a decorative stitch like Leah from Free Motion Quilting.
After taking my machine classes, I really wanted to try an applique project. Here's Hooterville by Brandywine Design. It needs a few more blanket stitches around some owls, but I'm ALMOST ready to piece it together! I stopped working on this to practice free motion--oh, and that whole job/apartment hunting adventure that happened mid-February. I'll pick it back up soon I'm sure...now that I'm feeling less intimidated by the idea of quilting it.
Other things to be working on include:
  • A tree skirt for Jamie--the pieces are cut, they just need to be pieced and quilted.
  • A scrappy quilt that I started piecing as an all-over free motion practice quilt (before finding the awesome transportation fabric.
  • A quilt as you go project made with the Bold and Beautiful line from Benartex to showcase some center-fill designs made by free motion quilting in pink on black. (This will be mine all mine when it's finished!)

Now I'm off to wrap up some french toast for the freezer and quilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! Your comments make my day!