Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A quilt for Grace

So when your best friend asks you to make a quilt for her little sister, you have to say yes.  Her only instructions were that Grace loves purple and bunnies...here's what I've got so far:

What do you think...should I add faces to the other bunnies or leave them as silhouettes? 

A minor error in the length of the flying geese meant a redesign.








I was trying to make a rectangle and settled on a square.








I'm excited at how quickly it's moving along, but I have to say I lost some steam when I had to rip my first large seam.

Other works in progress:
Hooverville quilt (mostly hibernating, but it's the next one I'd pick back up)

Hibernating:
Square root of nine
T-shirt quilt
Girl baby quilt (this one seems like a fun project to quilt with minimal sewing difficulty)

Want to start:
Bold batik Boxtrot for myself
Some decorative pillows

I'm linking up to WIP Wednesday. WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

6 comments:

  1. I like the bunny with the face. :-) The faceless bunnies remind me of the manikins that have no facial details. Okay, maybe that's a bit extreme, but my vote is for happy faces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faces I would say for all those faceless bunnies---you are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww.. that is such a sweet quilt. I love your planning and your colouring..I want to start drawing on grids too.. got to get one of those grid book... BTW, thanks for stopping by littlemushroomcap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The face you made already is soooo adorable - more faces would be awesome. This is turning out so pretty. Yeah, it can be a bummer when something doesn't fit right. Were the geese too long? The project after the one I'm working on now has a geese border that I have to figure out, and I'm not looking forward to the math. (It's a quilt of my own design, so who knows what snafus might await me when I get to it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a quilt of my own design, and the geese should have fit...They came up about a half inch too short...I was probably doing 1/4 inch seams instead of scant 1/4 inch so when I pressed the thick seams flat I created a shortage. I haven't done a lot of things with triangles, but Sewn by Leila has a great tutorial on the math at http://sewnbyleila.blogspot.com/2011/08/block-7-virginia-star.html

      Delete
  5. Aww, that is a really sweet quilt! I love purple. Really nice work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! Your comments make my day!